Friday 25 March 2011

CUSTARD!

After a particularly satisfying vanilla custard Muller Rice today I felt the need for custard.  All the custard.  So I decided to make a custard cream cupcake!  It's not big and fancy but I had a need and baking provided it :D

Vanilla cake

125g butter
125 caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs
vanilla

  • Preheat the oven to 180oC and fill a cupcake tin with cases.
  • Cream the butter and sugar together until...creamy.  Add a tsp of vanilla.
  • Add the eggs to the butter and sugar one by one whisking as you go.  Don't worry if it curdles!
  • Add the flour and baking powder (this will kill the curdle)
  • Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through.
I hoped this recipe would make 12 but I got about 7 cupcakes out of it.  I make quite large cupcakes though!

Vanilla whipped cream frosting

300ml double cream
4 tbsp icing sugar
vanilla

  • Whip the cream until a pipe-able consistency.
  • Stir in icing sugar and a tsp of vanilla.  If it's not sweet enough for you add more icing sugar.
Custard filling

2 egg yolks (yolks only!)
290ml milk (you can use whole but I used skimmed and it still tastes awesome)
Vanilla
1 tbsp caster sugar

  • Heat the milk slowly with the vanilla (use vanilla pod if you can but if not a good extract will do) until just about boiling point.  Remove from the heat.
  • Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar together.
  • Add a splash of the heated milk to the egg mixture and whisk like crazy.
  • Add the remainder of the milk to the egg mixture whisking as you go.
  • Put the mix back into the saucepan and onto the heat.
  • Stir until it reaches the correct custard consistency.
  • If it manages to split (mine did...) you need to whisk, maybe alot.  I found once it cooled down it was fine.  Plus, it's in the cake and as long as it tastes good the job is done!
I'm a little obsessed at the moment with coring the middle of the cupcake and filling it with tasty treats and that's what i've done here.  Use a corer (or knife/spoon) and cut out a hole in the cupcake but don't go all the way to the base.  Fill in the hole with the custard. Frosting over hole. Simple :D




Can you see the custard filling INSIDE!  Woahs.

This was my first time using a whipped cream frosting and I totally love how much easier it is than buttercream.  I've had so many buttercream rages!  Only thing is it doesn't seem to keep it's shape that long, but I think I could of had it in the fridge longer.

Also, first time doing a new piping technique called Rose piping.  I think i've got it down. 

So there you have it, my custard cream cupcake.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment